[Question #194761]: is particle distribution true or close to real sand simulated by yade

Hi all,

   recently, I have read some papers using Yade or SDEC simulating triaxial test over sand, and made good calibration over the dem model with experimental models.

   However, two questions puzzled.

   1), Triaxial box is usually a bit large than the box used in a true soil test box;

   2), we insert particles into the box, usually 8000~10000, I have estimated the mean particle size used in yade, usually 20-40mm in average, a bit lager

       than the usually sand particle size 0.5mm -1mm. A box composed of particles a bit larger than the sand grains used in real experiment could

       represent the real sand sample?

   My understanding over these questions, especially the secong is below

       if we use real particle distribution and size in the simulation, simulation should be a long long time.

       So the usual particle distribution is larger, maybe 10-100 times, than that in real sand.

       and also, numerical sample even don't care about the particle distribution, just uniform distribution.

      I think, in microscopic, sand grain has some statistical characters like distribution, average radius, morphorgy and roughness.

      at least the first 2 should be close or even equal to each other over yade and experiment. now the grain parameters in papers using yade

      could only have one parameters close to real sand, relative density, why and how to deal with this problem?