Re: [Question #210907]: on sample preparation of real granula materials

Chiara Modenese proposed the following answer:

On 11 Oct 2012, at 08:56, wangxiaoliang wrote:

> Actually, I am talking about the sample controlling parameters, somebody
> use porosity, somebody use relative density, to be equal to that in the
> real experiment. Which one is more appropriate?

Good question. In fact, it would be better to use the relative density
as a reference parameter. However, this is not straightforward to define
with spherical particles although some papers offer an equivalent
definition for the numerical model (like in the paper you are reading)
but it is questionable I think as in some cases calibration is more
difficult depending on the contact model adopted.

One could match the real porosity of the experiments if the same
particle shape and PSD are used in the numerical model.

Chiara