Re: [Question #212881]: PeriTriaxController vs. Peri3DController

Chareyre posted a new comment:
Thanks Jan.

1) You deserve the degree for this nice piece of code! ;)
2/3) Yes, it would be good to unify.

I'm still not too sure what is a "rotated" cell.
I mean, any rotation I can imagine would not break  PeriTriax. You can for instance prescribe a rotation like velGrad(1,2)=R,  velGrad(2,1)=-R, then control stress/strain 11, 22 and 33. It is also possible to start from arbitrary cell geometry (rotated, sheared, etc.).  So, what is specific in Peri3D?

For shear stress, clearly, this is something PeriTriax will NOT control currently. I guess it is straightforward to control it in the static algorithm, since it is essentially what you did in Peri3D (or are there also differences in the static algorithms of the two engines?)
For the dynamic algorithm, it would not be really difficult either to generalize the algorithm to d²e_ij/dt² = ds_ij/m when i!=j. We could try that.

One thing to consider carefully is the complexity of the interface. If
adding functionalities is at the price of additional complexity for the
user, then it is maybe not worth it. I'll have to check example scripts
with Peri3D.