[Question #215246]: How many rattlers in a packing during shearing

Hi Yade users,

It's a question about DEM rather than about YADE. But I will appreciate if any experience sharing from you. When we model cohesionless material, there are 'a lot of' particles with zero or only one contacts which are called rattlers. In YADE, we have avgNumInteractions and can set skipFree=True to disregard these rattlers. I'm wondering how many rattlers (proportion to the total particle number) typically you observed in a simulation. I know this depends on PSD, porosity or even frictional coefficient. In some of my simulations, I observe a proportion of 10-20%. This really shocks me.

Ning