Re: [Question #215877]: SIGKILL and possible memory leakage

Anton Gladky proposed the following answer:
Hi.

2012/12/6 Giulia Macaro <question215877@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I've restarted the computer, launched the test, and I have not opened any other program (not even a folder, firefox, mouse, or music).
> After 3 hours of running with 4 out of 8 cores, the total memory usage increased from 11.13 to 11.51% (compared with the previous 22 to 32% which I had while running other programs).
> At the end of the test, after 18 hours,  the memory arrived up to 14.29%, which is considerably less than before.
> It not a sceintific way, but it gives an idea of what is happening. Some observations:
> - As soon as I start using the pc for other stuff, the memory used by Yade starts increasing faster

How do you measure, whether the memory, used by Yade, is increased?

> - Have you noticed the same behaviour?
> - It is good news, I assume, that the memory does not increase much if I don't run anything else.  But why, while I run other programs, does the memory used by Yade increase?

At least for linux-based systems it should not be so at all. Can other
applications eat all the memory?

> I am now trying to do the same (not using the pc at all) with the large
> simulation (which crashed with SIGKILL before).  Can I decide how much
> memory Yade can use?  Is there any command similar to -j4 given for the
> number of cores?

No, memory is allocating dynamically depending on the number of bodies,
interactions etc.

Anton