Re: [Question #225776]: Definition of Yade's frictionAngle for a single material

Nguyen Hien proposed the following answer:
Hi,
I'm modelling triaxial test and I play a lot with this parameter, in soil mechanics, angle of friction is about the behavior of the soil: The friction angle is a shear strength parameter of soils. Its definition is derived from the Mohr-Coulomb failure criterion and it is used to describe the friction shear resistance of soils together with the normal effective stress. In the stress plane of Shear stress-effective normal stress, the soil friction angle is the angle of inclination with respect to the horizontal axis of the Mohr-Coulomb shear resistance line (1). And I think that's what YADE is using.
I give you a demonstration of the definition of this term, I think it's clear for you.
http://i.imgur.com/QZ0Cr6m.png (2)

(1) - http://www.geotechdata.info/parameter/angle-of-friction
(2) - Soil Mechanic p.62 - Lambe