Re: [Question #228825]: joint

Luc Scholtès proposed the following answer:
Dear PingYang,

Sorry for not answering earlier to your question. I can see with your
other email that you seem to be very interested in modelling jointed
rock masses. As you probably know, I did some work on this topic and the
fact is that, at the moment, I haven't release any of my development
files for many reasons. The first reason, really, is a question of time.
I could release my files as they are at the moment but I do not think
this will be of any help for Yade users because the files need a proper
"How To" documentation that does not exist yet. This is on my agenda for
several months now and I hope I will be able to do it this next summer.
I also hope that, doing so, yade developers who may be interested in
that topic will improve the way it should be implemented in Yade as it
is in a very crude and basic coding form at the moment.

Anyway, apart from the fact that the files are not available yet (BTW,
they just consists in an enhanced version of the cohesive frictional law
describes here: https://yade-
dem.org/doc/yade.wrapper.html?highlight=cohesive%20frictional#yade.wrapper.CohesiveFrictionalContactLaw),
maybe you should first learn how to use YADE and think about how you
want to use it for your designated purpose. Because, before defining a
simulation with a precise contact law, you need to define the geometry
and the boundary conditions of your problem. For jointed rock masses, it
is even more complicated because you need to define the fracture network
that you want to study. What is exactly that you want to study?

Considering what I just said, I encourage you to consider first the
above mentionned modelling strategy. For example, as a first morking
scheme, you could model your rock mass with the available cohesive
contact law by deleting the contacts that belong to the fracture network
(or setting them as non cohesive compared to the ones belonging to the
intact rock matrix). I would be happy to help you with this ;).
Hopefully, my development files will come up soon.

Regards

Luc