Re: [Question #233320]: compiling with quad precision

Bruno Chareyre posted a new comment:
@Mattias,
I don't have precise experiments to suggest unfortunately. I'm only speculating.

I've read you *.ods sheet (thanks). If I guess correctly, what it shows
is that indeterminacy is of similar amplitude on max force if you
compare "double" runs between them and "quad" runs between them.

My interpretation is that any small difference between two states gives
completely different results after some time but at the same time the
result is bounded by physical constraints. So what you see is not the
magnitude of rounding errors, it is the range of physically acceptable
configurations, as if indeterminacy was deeply rooted in the problem.

Now the thing that doesn't fit in this picture is #25, where you find
different behaviour for the bulk material. A question is if the
difference in std deviation is obtained with a sufficient number of
results. It may be just luck that you get a smaller one with quads.