Von: bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] Im Auftrag von Chiara Modenese
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 6. November 2013 16:46
An: Eulitz, Alexander
Betreff: Re: [Question #232351]: Kinds of damping

Chiara Modenese posted a new comment:
Hi Alexander,

Yes, you are right beta_n should be called damping ratio rather than
damping coefficient but you get the concept. Feel free to adjust the
text if you want.

At the time I set the code so that e_n and e_s would be the defined the
same was for convenience but also because I believe that the equation
for alpha was derived for normal impact tests only (please correct me if
I am wrong as I do not have that paper with me right now).

Looking back at this problem, I would not use this form of non-linear
damping because actually the relationship for alpha that is implemented
is not formally correct. It is a good first approximation but
analytically is not consistent (I will see later if I can find the
reference that proves that for you) - if you do some research on the
topic you will find different relationships for alpha.

Chiara