Re: [Question #242644]: Benchmark

Bruno Chareyre proposed the following answer:
Hello,

The benchmark you mention (wiki) is quite old, that is why some of the variables disapeared.
There has been a number of optimizations done after this benchmark. Note that more recent tests have been done by Christian Jakob [1].

> How can I start yade with "yade-trunk-opt-multi"

This is just the name of yade executable. It could be "yadedaily" or any
other name you give to a particular build.

> there is no "fast" defined

For experimentation, we could run in "fast" or "non fast" modes at that
time. Since "fast" was effectively faster, the "non fast" option has
been simply removed.

>O.bexSyncCount

... is still in the code but with a different name
(ForceContainer::syncCount). It counts the number of synchronization of
forces computed in different threads (for parallel versions only). Not a
very important parameter. Again it was for experimentation at that time,
we know now that there is one sync per time-step, as it should be.

We are always interested in benchmark tests reports and to publish them
on the website. Please let us know if we can help to define the test
case.

The main question is if you want to evaluate perfs in a quasistatic simulation, like a triaxial test, or in a more dynamic situation, like gravity deposition. The results can be very different. Considering that [1] is more on the dynamic side, I would suggest to focus on a static situation:
- first, generate a dense packing for triaxial simulation with N particles, and save it;
- second use it as an initial state for the benchmark (experimenting different numThreads and different tunings of collision detection parameters).
- change N and check again.

I hope it helps.

Bruno

[1] https://yade-dem.org/wiki/Comparisons_with_PFC3D