[Question #254361]: Debugging a .py script using gdb: "not in executable format"

Today I was trying to run the gdb debugger on a Python script file for use with Yade (let's call it myscriptfile.py) and received the following error message:
' "[path]/myscriptfile.py": not in executable format: File format not recognized '

How would I correctly debug a .py script file using gdb? I've seen some people say you have to run gdb on the binary version of the file, but I don't know where to find the binary. If a binary is indeed needed, what is the general form for the path to a binary?