[Question #259110]: ParaView: stress on facet =/= force * unit area

Hello Launchpad,

Some of my co-workers have been running experiments in which a group of spherical particles is exerting forces on a facet. Ideally, the stress on a body should equal the force on the body per unit area. However, in our experiments, we have found a large discrepancy between stress and (force*area). The product of force and area in one of our facet tests was 18 kN, while the stress recorded for the same facet was 66 kN.

What could be the cause of the discrepancy? How exactly does the VTKRecorder (I presume this is the engine used) calculate the force values it sends to ParaView?

As always, thank you kindly for your answer.

Cheers,
Christopher Stanbridge