Re: [Question #263072]: Manipulating blocks created using jointedCohesiveFrictionalPM

Luc Scholtès proposed the following answer:
Hi Veljko,

After the first identification stage (DFN over sphere packing with lots
of particles), you could try to identify the cohesive blocks (the ones
in between the discontinuities) according to the status of the
particles' interaction with their respective neighbours (cohesive or
not). This can work only if you define the jointed interactions as non
cohesive of course.

For instance, looping over all bodies (for o in O.bodies), you loop then
over all their neighbours (using  O.interactions.withBody(o) ) and find
those with which the interaction is cohesive. If the interaction is
cohesive, they belong to the same subblock. If not, they don't. Doing
so, you should be able to identify the subblocks.

This is what I did to obtain the last figure of this paper:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1631072114002034

Afterwards, I did not get what you want to do precisely. I guess that
replacing the particles contained in the subblocks by clumps is quite
straightforward (using what Jerome proposed). You would then end up with
a model that would be similar to what 3DEC proposes, with blocks
presenting rough surfaces. Now, replacing these clumps by sphere
assemblies... I am not sure it would be of interest... But, again, I did
not get precisely your objectives.

Cheers

Luc