[Question #265830]: Interaction stiffness for the loading plates

Hi guys,

It seems that the contact stiffness calculation in YADE is tricky. Because, we cannot assign (AFAIK) a certain value of stiffness to an interaction. The code gets Kn and Ks from the materials properties (young).

So, I've got a problem here. Imagine we have the following case:

sphere's radius is 1e-3
sphere's material young=1e4

a loading plate (a box or facet) with a material of young=1e6

with these values the contact stiffness for sphere-sphere contacts is 10 and that of sphere-plate contact is 19.8.

Thus, we're kind of limited to the maximum value of 20 for plate-sphere contacts. However, I need a higher value for this contact to make sure that the deformation comes from the material itself and not from the loading plate contacts.
What's the solution?

Thanks,
Behzad