[Question #267350]: strain matrices of particles?

When I look into the strain vtk files I find that the number of matrices in the "strain_matrix" section always equals to the number of points. It seems that every strain matrix corresponds to a certain particle.

Why let strain matrices correspond to particles rather than tetrahedrons? Is the strain tensor of a tetrahedron a result from some calculations of all its vertices' strain matrices?