Re: [Question #269831]: HydroForceEngine not defined?

Raphaël Maurin proposed the following answer:
Hi

>It obviously is not included in the current release of Yade, is it strange?
I am actually not using at all the stable versions so I don't know if it is strange, but I commited that engine months ago.

>well, i'm actually want to simulate the buoyancy of the sphere.
however, it seems that all the spheres drop to the bottom anyway due to
gravity

It should be possible to simulate the buoyancy with hydroforce engine by putting the vxFluid to a vector full of zeros, and the mesh properties in order to fill the whole space. If you want the particle to have buoyancy applied only if it is under the water surface, just precise the fluid mesh from the ground to the water free surface wall normal position: h =nCell*dz. This will apply the buoyancy only if the center of the particle is inside the water. However it will not take into be modified if a part of the particle is outside the water. You can modify that in the C++ code if necessary.
Depending on the number of particles that you are simulating, it might be easier for you to write a simple function in python using O.forces.addF(O.bodies[0].id,fb) which will apply the force fb (that you can evaluate easily) to the particle O.bodies[0] for example.

>. By introducing the hydroforce engine, should the sphere be kind of floating on the water surface if the density is >lower than the water density?

If you have a buoyancy force, this should be the case

> say if the sphere is only partly submerged, then the buoyancy should
be only calculated from the submerged volume, isn't it?

This should be the case but is not evaluated like that inside the
HydroForceEngine.

Hope it helps

Raphael