Re: [Question #270057]: How we control the dimensions of the model

Hi Jabrane,

there are no physical dimensions in Yade, just numbers [1,2] :-) Depending
on what you give on input, you get on output.

example:
distance = 10
time = 2
velocity = length/time = 5

if you have [distance]=m, [time]=s, then velocity is 5 m/s
if you have [distance]=km, [time]=s, then velocity is 5 km/s
if you have [distance]=km, [time]=h, then velocity is 5 km/h
if you have [distance]=feet, [time]=day, then velocity is 5 feet/day

but the number 5 is always the same, but its meaning depend on what is
acually distance and time. Yade works the same, it just computes numbers,
regardless their physical meaning. The results of Yade are again just
numbers. What is the physical dimension of the results depends on what you
consider is physical dimension of inputs.

So you can have any physical dimension, you only have to be consistent.

cheers
Jan

[1] https://answers.launchpad.net/yade/+question/170564
[2] https://answers.launchpad.net/yade/+question/251125