Re: [Question #289663]: Total elastic shear energy in Hertz-Mindlin model

Bettina Suhr posted a new comment:
Hi Jiangtao,
I used the Hertz-Mindlin model for some time, but I never looked at the energies.
As I read the source code, in shearEnergy not only the current increment is saved, but the sum of all increments (see below). What exactly would you like to compute?
Regards,
Bettina

Yade-1.20.0, HertzMindlin.cpp, Lines 423 - 430
/* SHEAR ELASTIC ENERGY */
// NOTE: shear elastic energy calculation must come after the MC criterion, otherwise displacements and forces are not updated
if (calcEnergy) {
	shearEnergy += (us_elastic-prevUs_el).dot((shearElastic+prev_FsElastic)/2.); // NOTE: no additional energy if we perform sliding since us_elastic and prevUs_el will hold the same value (in fact us_elastic is only keeping the elastic part). We work out the area of the trapezium.
}