Re: [Question #295035]: Use of i.phys.unp to get null forces initially

VG posted a new comment:
Thanks Jerome, that makes sense.

@Bruno,
> Certainly not. Why would it be "more accurate"?!
Sorry for the confusion. What I meant was that if we don't change the value of unp back to zero, then the contact force would be offset by kn*unp even in the subsequent iterations.

I did some testing on a simple 2-sphere problem, to better understand
the role of this parameter. Following are my take-away. Please correct
me if I am wrong.

1. unp simply corresponds to the equilibrium distance between the two
spheres, which by default is zero. Or in other words, by default the
equilibrium distance between the centers of two spheres is r1 + r2, but
it can be modified using this parameter unp.

2. During tensile contact, the penetrationDepth is negative and unp
essentially means the same thing in tensile contact as it does in a
compressive contact. So, in the third last post here:

it should be  i.phys.unp = i.geom.penetrationDepth instead of i.phys.unp
= 0 #to make the cohesive interaction initially force free even in the
tensile regime.

Thanks
Varun