Re: [Question #374814]: What time step is prescribed?

A Dinesh posted a new comment:
Thanks for the reply,

Actually I am implementing basic bouncing ball using Discrete element
method. So, to find the force between the ball the wall, I am using
hertzian law. So, from material properties of the bouncing ball and the
wall I found the Stiffness parameters. Duration of collision is too low,
because of the High stiffness and I took time step to be equal to
1*10^-5. But the collision time is 1*10^-6. Because of which My ball as
time progresses is going more height(blowing up).

1)Can I model this using linear dashpot model and get the same result.
i.e, taking small stiffness coefficient and higher time step. and get
the accurate result.

2)Does YADE use 1*10^-6 time step. Why I am asking this is If we take
this less time step, the simulation time will be slow. But YADE is fast,
even using Hertzian force law.

Thank you.