Re: [Question #404284]: The meaning of periodic boundary

Hi Liu,

what you wrote is correct.

But PBC can be used also if the "macro" geometry is arbitrary, e.g. in the
case you expect the deformation is uniform in certain area, then you
simulate only a small volume.

It also (as averything) depends on the purpose of simulation. For example
for evaluating macroscopic stiffness, PBC are considered as a very good
choice. On the other hand, in simulation of cracking phenomena, in might
not be a good choice as the cracks are usually not periodic (but PBC force
them to be).

Jan

PS: I **personally** prefer the term Periodic contact detection, as it is
not really a boundary condition in the sense I use it..