Re: [Question #404654]: normalShearStressTensors

Jérôme Duriez proposed the following answer:
Yes, I think you should add the two matrices from
normalShearStressTensors() to get a stress measurement. I have no
personnal experience with this function but I still expect it should
match getStress().

Few remarks to try to help with the confusion

- code source of normalShearStressTensors() is here [1] while code
source of getStress() is there [2]. Analyzing these codes is the best
method, though maybe not the easiest, to understand these functions and
the differences, if any.

- it seems (from the "cell volume" in the doc, and the code source)
normalShearStressTensors() is designed for periodic simulations. Is it
your case ?

- worst comes to worst, in case you can still not figure out the
differences and you do not get any other answer, you may just stick with
getStress(): I'm sure this function is a correct one to measure stress.

[1] https://github.com/yade/trunk/blob/e4e757f2e98a620e3177b7a36a1d10f69f6a6a28/pkg/dem/Shop_02.cpp#L195 and following lines
[2] https://github.com/yade/trunk/blob/e4e757f2e98a620e3177b7a36a1d10f69f6a6a28/pkg/dem/Shop_02.cpp#L348 and below