Re: [Question #406523]: Cylinders and law2_ScGeom_ViscElPhys_Basic

Raphaël Maurin confirmed that the question is solved:
Hi Bruno,

Sorry for the late answer, I didn't see your message.

Thanks for your answer, I start to understand what is happening and that
is getting better.

When I use your script, it indeed try to create a cylinder with material viscElMat as asked. However, it prints an error message saying that it didn't succeed to compute the interactions coefficient. This is rather normal as the ip2 contains  a function to evaluate the kn, ks,  cn and cs from the young, poisson, en and es which has been made for spheres only, and does not work for the cylinder.
Therefore, it is possible to make it work by assigning directly the values of kn, ks, cn and cs to define the material. Then, we can observe the viscous dissipation as expected. Here is the script that works:

from yade.gridpfacet import *

#O.materials.append(ViscElMat(en=0.5, et=0., young=1e7, poisson=0.5, density=2500, frictionAngle=0.4, label='Mat'))
O.materials.append(ViscElMat(kn=1e7, ks = 5e6, cn = 1e5,cs = 0., density=2500, frictionAngle=0.4, label='Mat'))
O.engines = [
 ForceResetter(),
 InsertionSortCollider([Bo1_Sphere_Aabb(),Bo1_GridConnection_Aabb(),]),
 InteractionLoop(
    [Ig2_Sphere_Sphere_ScGeom(),Ig2_Sphere_GridConnection_ScGridCoGeom()],
    [Ip2_ViscElMat_ViscElMat_ViscElPhys()],
    [Law2_ScGeom_ViscElPhys_Basic()],
 ),
 NewtonIntegrator(damping=0., gravity = (0,0,-9.81))
 ]

O.bodies.append(sphere(center = (0,5,5),radius = 1,material = 'Mat'))
cylinder(begin = (0,0,0),end =(0,10,0),radius = 1,fixed = True,color = (0,0,1),intMaterial = 'Mat',extMaterial = 'Mat')

O.dt = 1e-6

I will use it like that, as it is not a major problem for me.

Thanks for everything !

Raphael