Re: [Question #406523]: Cylinders and law2_ScGeom_ViscElPhys_Basic

Raphaël Maurin is still having a problem:
Hi Bruno,

Maybe I did not really understand how the cylinder is made. For me the cylinder is made from two spheres joined by a surface that is basically like a wall or a facet. Therefore I thought that the latter one does not have any radius, explaining why the way I am using the contact law is not working. From what you say, it seems not to be the case. Can you explain me more precisely how it is made ?
If as you say the cylinder is made of spheres which does not have a mass, then that is indeed the reason for which this set of parameters does not work, as the evaluation of cn and cs from en and es, use the reduced mass of the two particle.

When considering box-sphere interactions I never had any problem, as I always consider planes, i.e. box without extents in one direction, for which the mass is null. In this case, there is a condition in the contact law that put the mass equal to the particle one. For interaction with a wall or a facet, I guess the mass are null also so you should get the same result.
But if the two masses are null then there is a problem, and I guess that is why it does not work when computing the interaction between the spheres composing the cylinder.

But then something is bothering me as in the case of an interaction
between the cylinder and a sphere, there is no reason for which the
equivalent parameters would not be computed correctly, no ?

Raphael