Re: [Question #550283]: Why can't I use TriaxialStressController and HydrodynamicsLawLBM at the same time

Luc Sibille proposed the following answer:
Hello,

HydrodynamicsLawLBM has not been initially designed to work with TriaxialStressController. They may work together (actually I have never tried, but it should) however you need to be aware of several things:
- HydrodynamicsLawLBM is defined in 2D whereas TriaxialStressController controls by default the strain/stress state of a 3D granular assembly (TriaxialStressController can work for a 2D assembly but its use need to be adapted)
- the limit of the fluid domain is fixed by the HydrodynamicsLawLBM by the initial position of the walls surrounding the granular assembly. If the TriaxialStressController induces a displacement of the walls during the simulation it will not affect the limit of the fluid domain, depending on what you want to do it may be suitable or not.

Then the LBM has its own conditions to work correctly: for instance the Mach number should be small enough, consequently the TriaxialStressController shoud not induce too high particle velocities (or to high particle growing rates)  that would lead to too high fluid velocity and Mach number with respect to the input parameters of the LBM.
In addition, are the limit conditions of the fluid domain consistent with what is imposed on the solid phase: for instance if solid particles grow but fluid cannot flow out of the fluid domain it cannot work.

Finally, concerning your own problem I see in your script you are using
the TriaxialStressController to make the particle growing. Do you
actually need a fluid-solid coupling during these phase? If not it may
solve, at least temporally the problem.

Luc