[Question #644244]: Difference between interpenetration and D in JCFPMphys

I've been studying the JCFPM contact law for some months, and there's a line of code that I find odd, maybe you guys could help me understand it.

In file [1], line 64, the condition D<0 has a comment stating that "spheres do not touch". But this is only true if the initial state of the interaction had a negative penetrationDepth, meaning that in the initial configuration of the model there is no interpenetration between the particles.

If the particles overlap when the cohesive interaction is created, then D<0 doesn't mean there's no overlap, it only means particles are further apart from each other than they were in the initial state.

Is this the expected behaviour? Is the JCFPM physics supposed to work always on this assumption (particles are not allowed to overlap in the initial steps)?

Cheers from Brazil,

Hélvio Peixoto

[1] - https://github.com/yade/trunk/blob/master/pkg/dem/JointedCohesiveFrictionalPM.cpp#L64