[Question #658902]: Modeling fractured rocks

Dear,

I have an inquiry regarding modeling  a fractured rock specimen, based on Scholtes et al. (2012) the fractured rock specimen is modeled by adding a discrete fracture network to the discrete element model of the intact material. I wanted to ask for further clarifications regarding the following issues:

1. How are the microproperties calibrated to match the macroproperties of the specimen?

2. In the Scholtes et al. (2012) paper, they backed up their microproperties by matching them to the macroproperties obtained using a triaxial test, is that test enough? Having almost 6-7 microproperties that are matched with only 3 macroproperties is enough? If yes could you please justify it? And if not, are there other methods that could be used to match micro-macro properties of the material being modeled?

3. In the same paper as well, a biaxial test was modeled on the fractured specimen, I am still a beginner in Yade, so could anyone please explain how the loading was performed? Is the specimen first normally load then shear until failure? Is the code available?

Thank you so much

Best Regards,
Hala El Fil