[Question #660585]: Why avoid reseting particle positions in DFNFlow?

I'm wondering why DFNFlow has its own "setPositionsBuffer" [1], which is just used to avoid FlowEngine's original "setPositionsBuffer" [2]. Was there some DFNFlow reason why we are unable to triangulate with new particle positions? Perhaps you guys were concerned with stability? Or the development of force imbalances due to "tricked" pressure changes not reflective of packing geometries? The simple existence of [1] makes me think there were some issues updating positions (not to mention it is labeled with "experimental").

Or were you guys just hoping to improve computational speed by removing this function? Did you decide that the change of matrix permeability is negligible in DFNFlow (since we are modeling intact rock fracture), so we don't need to worry about spending computational time on the small movements of particles?

My own experiments lead me to believe there are issues with stability or force imbalances...but it seems model dependent.

Best,

Robert

[1]https://github.com/yade/trunk/blob/master/pkg/pfv/DFNFlow.cpp#L170
[2]https://github.com/yade/trunk/blob/master/pkg/pfv/FlowEngine.ipp.in#L310