[Question #665514]: Application of flow engines on saturated flows

Dear all,

I am a new user of YADE. The purpose of my internship is to find a way to model the flow of a saturated material down a chute [1].

I read the documentation about flow engines available in YADE such as FlowEngine() [2] [3] and HydrodynamicsLawLBM() [4]. Moreover, I am still looking for documentation for TwoPhaseFlowEngine() [5].

I conclude that all engines need to be defined in a box and that the engines can’t be used for modelling a flow along a chute.

I will explain how I plan to proceed.
I would like to realize a release of a saturated volume of a mix of water (density of 1200kg/m³ and higher viscosity than water viscosity) and granular media. This volume will flow along a rectangular channel which extremity is closed by a wall.

First step, I do a gravity deposit at the top of my channel. A wall holds this volume. Once it is stabilized (unbalancedForce() < threshold), I remove the wall and let the volume flows along the channel, in a dam-break manner.

Regarded as I plan to do, I am not sure if I can apply a flow engine only inside the granular media.

Do flow engines necessarily have to be applied on a box ?
Maybe I miss understood something.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Nicolas

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debris_flow

[2] Chareyre, B., Cortis, A., Catalano, E., Barthélemy, E., 2012. Pore-Scale Modeling of Viscous Flow and Induced Forces in Dense Sphere Packings. Transp. Porous Media 92, 473‑493. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11242-011-9915-6

[3] Catalano, E., Chareyre, B., Barthélémy, E., 2014. Pore-scale modeling of fluid-particles interaction and emerging poromechanical effects. Int. J. Numer. Anal. Methods Geomech. 38, 51‑71. https://doi.org/10.1002/nag.2198

[4] Lominé, F., Scholtès, L., Sibille, L., Poullain, P., 2013. Modeling of fluid‑solid interaction in granular media with coupled lattice Boltzmann/discrete element methods: application to piping erosion. Int. J. Numer. Anal. Methods Geomech. 37, 577‑596. https://doi.org/10.1002/nag.1109

[5] https://yade-dem.org/doc/yade.wrapper.html#yade.wrapper.TwoPhaseFlowEngine