[Question #665573]: irrelevant facets slow down simulation

Good evening,
I recently run a test. I created 2 stl structures. Both of them have identical internal shape and in there a fixed number of particles is created and fills up the space. The only difference of the stls is that one has a lot of letters on the outer side, thus increasing the number of facets by a lot.
However, those extra facets never interract with the particles.
I expected the initialization times to differ, but the run times to be the same
To my surprise the example with fewer facets took 3 times less to run.
Here is a MWE

http://dropmefiles.com/qka53

It is run by giving the command
time python calltest.py maze1lid.stl   for the simple stl
and
time python calltest.py letters.stl      for the one with the letters

Is it something i am missing? Any suggestion is really appreciated
Best Regards
John