Re: [Question #673631]: Doubts of rock slope

Luc Scholtès proposed the following answer:
Hi Shivpreet,

Please see the message I sent you directly.

As mentioned in previous messages:

-> factor of safety: you don't need to run a simulation to determine the
factor of safety of a slope containing a persistent joint. Limit
equilibrium analysis is enough for that. You just have to relate the
weight of the unstable part of the sole to the strength of the joint
plane (the ratio between these 2 components gives you the factor of
safety).

1. how to define the ref point in gravity1.py script. I have tried defining it but I am n't sure that's correct or not.
-> it is specific to the model you use. You have to find a way to identify a particle located within the unstable part of your slope. Coloring the identified particle with a different color and visualizing the model before running the simulation will let you you if the identification is correct or not.

2. I have generated my plane and model. But please let me know that which plane is defined correctly or not.
-> self validating your work is essential here. Open it with a CAD software. See if it opens in YADE and if the identification of the spheres along the joint is correct (you can easily check if particles are defined "onJoint" by accessing their state.onJoint argument). If all this is verified, your model is correctly defined.

3. If I have to define my joint as cohesive or non-persistent how should I do that?
2 questions here. Cohesion: see the material properties in the jcfpmMat. Persistence: it is related to the geometry of your model. If the joint plane goes entirely through the slope, it is persistent, if not, it is not.

4. some of the discrete elements are falling at the depth
-> I am not sure I understand the problem here... Even though this is very unlikely to happen for regular packings, some of the particles may not be bonded (floating particles)... Have a look at aabbEnlargeFactor / interactionDetectionFactor concept and at:
https://yade-dem.org/doc/user.html#creating-interactions