Re: [Question #674229]: float particles

Robert Caulk proposed the following answer:
Thanks for posting a working script that demonstrates your question :-)

IINM you will always have some floaters when you use a uniform
distribution of spheres like this, especially with a range associated
with rRelFuzz=0.4 (very high!). 20% is very high. So you can decrease
your floaters by 3 methods 1/ reducing the range (reducing rRelFuzz), 2/
reaching a specified porosity after you reach your desired confining
pressure. Something like this (from examples/triax-tutorial[1]):

while triax.porosity>targetPorosity:
	# we decrease friction value and apply it to all the bodies and contacts
	compFricDegree = 0.95*compFricDegree
	setContactFriction(radians(compFricDegree))
	print "\r Friction: ",compFricDegree," porosity:",triax.porosity,
	sys.stdout.flush()
	# while we run steps, triax will tend to grow particles as the packing
	# keeps shrinking as a consequence of decreasing friction. Consequently
	# porosity will decrease
	O.run(500,1)

3/ you can create "distant" by increasing the interactionRadius [2].
This will also decrease the number of floaters by creating a denser
network. Warning: this will increase the number of interactions for
networked particles too.

Cheers,

Robert

[1]https://github.com/yade/trunk/blob/master/examples/triax-tutorial/script-session1.py