Re: [Question #676841]: the definition of porosity

> I found that the wall would be compressed into the upper ball, and in
addition, the ball would overlap with the ball

yes. In reality (if the particles were soft), there would be no overlap but the particles would deform (being in contact, but not overlapping).
In Yade, the particles are rigid and do overlap. Repulsive forces are somehow computed from this overlap.
Porosity is computed using the original particles volume. This way, the computation is very easy and fast.

>From existing overlaps, you can relatively easily compute actual volume
of overlaps and adjust the evaluation if needed.

Also please, if the question is about porosity, next time provide the
code you use to compute porosity. There are two of them, [1] using the
computation you described, the other [2] using voxel approximation (but
for your case, computing actual overlaps is not that difficult and much
more precise).

Jan

[1] https://yade-dem.org/doc/yade.utils.html#yade._utils.porosity
[2] https://yade-dem.org/doc/yade.utils.html#yade._utils.voxelPorosity