Re: [Question #677951]: Accelerating Yade’s PFV scheme with GPU

Robert Caulk proposed the following answer:
Hello,

The documentation [1] states the specific requirements of yade GPU:

"Fluid coupling (Pore Finite Volume aka Yade’s “FlowEngine”)
>10k particles, but likely >30k to see significant speedups
Frequent remeshing requirements"

In fact, we have an upcoming paper that highights the finegrained
performance improvements with GPU. We found that performance gains won't
be noticable until  >60k spheres.

Additionally, the Quadro P1000 is useless for scientific calculations
since the double precision processing power is weaker than your CPU [2].
You need to look for cards with high dp processing power such as Tesla,
new quadros, Titan V, etc.

>>And GPU usage has not reached 100%.

The GPU is only used for factorization during FlowEngine remeshing step.
Typically Yade remeshes infrequently, but can be controlled with
flow.remeshInterval.

Best,

Robert

[1]https://yade-dem.org/doc/GPUacceleration.html#hardware-software-and-model-requirements