Re: [Question #678055]: porosity

Jérôme Duriez proposed the following answer:
Hi,

Jamespaul: this actually was recently discussed on yade-dev [*] after a previous similar question (see question id in [*])
As you will see (if you go through all of [*]..), the way we see things may not be uniform, even among yade-devs.

Maybe you can just keep in mind that YADE (DEM in general) computes contact forces according to relative displacements.

Whether you see the normal relative displacement as
- an overlap,
- or as a relative displacement between the centers' of the particles (particles that would somewhat deform to comply with this relative displacement without any overlap, but we do not care/neglect these bodies' strains)

may be just up to you, and will only affect the way you will present
things in the scientific publications we wish you to obtain with YADE.

Jérôme

[*] https://www.mail-archive.com/yade-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg13724.html