[Question #681788]: concept of periodic

I am a bit confused about the concept of periodic.
Now, I am working at building a triaxial test framework, when I searched for examples of triaxial tests, I found there are actually two types of examples, i.e., periodic triaxial test and triaxial test. I wonder what is the difference between the two. By the way, I saw some commands like:
O.periodic=True,
Yade gives the description as 'Get/set whether the scene is periodic or not (True/False)', but I still don't know what this means. Is it related to periodic boundary?
Thanks in advance.