[Question #683511]: meaning of ENABLE_MASK_ARBITRARY

I need some explanation:

In order to understand why the use of the mask is not functionning in some recent CPU envrionment (see 682290), I am looking inside the code of collider.cpp or body.cpp and I founded the ifdef option of  YADE_MASK_ARBITRARY.
I guess that this option is controled by  ENABLE_MASK_ARBITRARY cmake option but I did not founded what is his use and his need.

could you provied me some hints or links to the place for th explanation