Re: [Question #685222]: model independent incremental force behaviour

Summary changed to:
model independent incremental force behaviour

Description changed to:
Hello,

I want to change the properties of an existing contact while still
taking in consideration its "history".

For example, let's say the Young modulus of the material changes due to plasticity and I need to update the contact kn.
However, as
 F = kn * u * n (1)
updating the value of kn changes the contact force based on the current displacement, as if the material always had the updated young modulus.

What I actually need is

F(step) = F(step-1) + kn * (u (step)-u(step-1)  * n (2)

Is storing the previous state of each contact the most reasonable
solution if you are not too worried about efficiency? Assume that the
specific contact law you use does not implement something like this.

Is there any build-in method to do so in Yade that supersedes individual
laws or I need to implement (2) with python?

As far as I know, most contact laws are derived from ElasticContactLaw.cpp, which uses (1), which may suggest there is no such method. <- this is wrong

Thank you for your time.