Re: [Question #686179]: How to use PSD

Robert Caulk proposed the following answer:
Hello,

>Should I set distributeMass = True or False.

Depends on what you want to simulate. Do you want the psd distribution
applied to particle count or mass fraction? Quote from the doc[1]:

"By default (with distributeMass==False), the distribution is applied to
particle radii. The usual sense of “particle size distribution” is the
distribution of mass fraction (rather than particle count); this can be
achieved with distributeMass=True."

> I wonder if all the particles are scaled up with the same scalar?

If internalCompaction=True, TriaxialStressController uses growParticles
[2], which changes the size of the spheres using a common multiplier
[3].

> is there no particle growing during the isotropic compaction phase?

Maybe they used internalCompaction=False.

Cheers,

Robert

[1]https://yade-dem.org/doc/yade.pack.html#yade._packSpheres.SpherePack.makeCloud
[2]https://gitlab.com/yade-dev/trunk/blob/master/pkg/dem/TriaxialStressController.cpp#L274