Re: [Question #689263]: How to connect the material parameters with contact stiffness for polyhedra?

> I am wondering why the value of young could be assigned to the Kn
directly?

why not? :-)

> just represents the stiffness.

yes

> the name "young" does not have any specific meaning here ...

The specific meaning is that it represents the normal stiffness :-)

if you mean that "young" should be Young's modulus, than yes, it may not be the case here.
The name is inherited from FrictMat and has the meaning of stiffness in normal direction, not necessarily Young's modulus.

have a look at a similar discussion [1]

> If so, is there any method implemented in Yade actually connects the
stiffness with the material parameters(such as E,shear modulus G) for a
polyhedron? (distinguished from calculating the stiffness using Young's
moduluus, diameter and poison's ratio for sphere contacts)

as usually in DEM, you have to calibrate the parameters to obtain
desired response (if I got the paragraph correctly)

cheers
Jan

[1] https://answers.launchpad.net/yade/+question/681383