Re: [Question #690494]: How to simulate the dispersion process of agglomerated particles with YADE and Open FOAM?

Deepak posted a new comment:
Hello,

 >  1. At first, primary particles are agglomerated into a clump due to
van der wall force,

I think you will have to include a formulation for the Van der Waals's
forces in an existing contact law, for instance you can check
Law2_ScGeom6D_CohFrictPhys_CohesionMoment  in [1] and see how to modify
it.

For points 2,3 & 4  I think you can directly simulate this in Yade for
'dry' situations, i.e. without the fluid, there's an example of a ball-
mill simulation in [2]. For generating particles (spheres and clumps)
with radii distribution you can check the pack module[3] of Yade, there
are several examples showing the use of this module in the documentation
and the examples[4], [5] (see lines 58-75),

> Can I couple YADE for DEM and 'Open FOAM' for CFD simulation?

As long as you don't require a dynamic/moving mesh, it should be
possible to simulate it. Considering the ball-mill example, you can
setup the exact case in OpenFOAM, and use the rotatingWallVelocity
boundary for the cylinder surface.

[1]https://yade-dem.org/wiki/ConstitutiveLaws
[2] https://gitlab.com/yade-dev/trunk/-/blob/master/examples/mill.py
[3]https://yade-dem.org/doc/yade.pack.html#yade.pack.randomDensePack