Re: [Question #690526]: the difference of contact models for 1-D compression simulation

Jan Stránský posted a new comment:
Hi Sam,

it is too general question for this forum, I am afraid.
Actually the answer is worth its own research project :-)

> results for linear contact model is more accurate than the Hertz contact model.
> the linear contact model ... simulates the experiment better than the more advanced nonlinear model?

There might be maaany reasons, the most relevant:
"more advanced" does not equal better to describe a specific material.
Maybe the response of the material just corresponds better to the "simple" model than to the "more advanced" one.

> However, some researchers stated that there is no difference between
the linear and non-linear results.

I think this cannot be generalized. It strongly depends on actual
physical material. For some, there might be no or only insignificant
differences, but in general the material model should have its
influence.

cheers