Re: [Question #691193]: Why the sum of TW.volume is not equal to the volume of pack

Robert Caulk proposed the following answer:
Looking at the source code, it looks like the original author (Bruno?)
added a FIXME [1] saying we still need to properly define volumes for
spheres on the borders. Looking at the function where the volume is
computed for each sphere [2], it looks like fictitious vertices are
neglected in the calculation of the volumes. It makes sense since these
vertices are usually placed extremely far from the packing in order to
generate a boundary. Further, if a cell is fictitious (if it is a
boundary condition cell) then it is also neglected from the calculation.
Finally,  I see nothing here to consider periodicity. This all means
that any volume that you might expect to be accounted for along the
boundary of a packing appears to not be calculated. I guess these edge
geometries are computed in the saveVTK(withBoundaries=True) function,
but it would need to be copied over to this algorithm.

At the end, you should probably just take a volume as a relative value
and stick with one function or the other.

[1]https://gitlab.com/yade-dev/trunk/-/blob/master/lib/triangulation/Tesselation.ipp#L1251
[2]https://gitlab.com/yade-dev/trunk/-/blob/master/lib/triangulation/Tesselation.ipp#L1196