[Question #692660]: Heterogeneous complex material shape

I know there are ways to use the plane equation to check if a DE is in the positive or negative halfspace (question/256038) to be able to delete it or assign properties. But what if I want to check if a DE is inside a complex shaped mesh, eg a surface that is created by  superposed folding like a egg container.

I read about another method in which rays are send out and depending on if the number of mesh intersections are even or odd the DE is outside or inside. It sounds pretty easy but the detection of intersections is not so straight forward. Anyway if it is necessary  I will do it.

Before I go that route is there something already in YADE that  I can use instead?

Thanks
Chris