Re: [Question #693278]: construct parallel bond model in yade

Robert Caulk proposed the following answer:
1. is it possible to construct the parallel bond model by allowing
moment transfer in JCFpmPhys?

Yes, it is open source code you can modify/add/subtract anything you
want. Relevant thread [1].

2. is it possible to add two interactions ( both jcfpmmat &
cohfrictmat)?

Do you mean add two laws? Each of these follow a different law, the law
decides how the forces are determined, when the bonds break, how the
plasticity develops. No, you cannot use two laws on a single
interaction.

2. in the source code of JCFpmPhys[1], line 655 and line 656, I can see
that 'crossSection(pi*R^2)' take place the' R1*R2/(R1+R2)', why is that?
if I was given the modulus of bond (E), how do I compute the
jointNormalStiffness(jkn)? is it jkn=E or jkn=E/R?

Please, in the future, add the links, don't make us wade through lines
of code just to end up *maybe* at the same place you are referencing.

It would appear that they changed from the harmonic mean to the cross
sectional area to keep the expression size independent. I realize that
doesn't provide much extra information, but from a units stand point -
it is true. Size independent expressions are always preferable in DEM.
The user defined Normal stiffness [2] should be in units of Pa/m to stay
consistent with this expression. So I suppose you would use jkn=E/R, to
answer that question.

Cheers,

Robert

[1]https://answers.launchpad.net/yade/+question/689058