Re: [Question #693568]: Stresses drop to zero in periodic triaxial shear simulation

Diego Abarca posted a new comment:
Thank you again for you time Jan,

Indeed, by all measures volume appears to stay constant. What you say
about shape changing may be the issue, but it feels weird that stresses
drop to zero just because of particles relaxing. I would expect
particles to reaccomodate and stresses to drop under constant volume
conditions in some cases, but particles floating is not something I had
in mind. I guess I'll have to find another way to impose constant
volume.

About Ip2_FrictMat_FrictMat_MindlinPhys() and
Law2_ScGeom_MindlinPhys_Mindlin(), they originate from the contact force
model "Hertz-Mindlin no micro-slip solution" that was implemented (I
think) in [1].  I don't think they were the problem as I also ran my
code using Ip2_FrictMat_FrictMat_FrictPhys() and
Law2_ScGeom_FrictPhys_CundallStrack() and the issues persisted.

Anyways, thanks again for all the help Jan.

[1] http://www2.eng.ox.ac.uk/civil/publications/theses/modenese_pdf ,
section 4.2.1.