Re: [Question #693806]: Yade Installation on windows

Luc Sibille posted a new comment:
Hello,

The IT of my lab managed to make YADE running on WSL (Windows subsystem for linux) inclunding the graphical interface.
Not sure it works for all the systems, it has been tested on a single PC, so do not take it as a release procedure and I am not able to give assistance about this pocedure, but some elements may help some Yade users.
Here is the procedure:

The installation has been tested on Windows 10 1903, WSL 2, Ubuntu
20.04.

If necessary, update Windows to version 1903 mininum

Update WSL2 :
https://wslstorestorage.blob.core.windows.net/wslblob/wsl_update_x64.msi

Install Ubuntu 20.04 from Microsoft Store.

Install Vcxsrv : https://sourceforge.net/projects/vcxsrv/

Install Yade (see the Yade documentation: https://yade-
dem.org/doc/installation.html  ).

sudo bash -c 'echo "deb http://www.yade-dem.org/packages/ focal main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list'
wget -O - http://www.yade-dem.org/packages/yadedev_pub.gpg | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt update && sudo apt install yadedaily python3-pip
sudo pip3 install mpmath

At this step an error related to libQt5Core.so.5 may appear when Yade is launched. To avoid it :
sudo strip --remove-section=.note.ABI-tag /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5

Then how to launch Yade:

Launch Vcxsrv -> keep all the default parameters.

Launch Ubuntu 20.04 WSL

export DISPLAY=:0.0

Launch Yadedaily

Accept the Firewall autorisation is necessary (popup)

Press F9 to generate a model

Then generate from the windows. The 3D rendering should appear.

Best,
Luc