[Question #694240]: How to reach ctitical state in a triaxial compression test?

Hi everyone,

I'd like to ask you the help on any possible suggestions to make a sand sample reach the critical state (no volumetric strain occurs) in triaxial compression test.

I use cohFrictMat (with rolling resistance) and CohesionMoment for the simulation, the boundary condition is six rigid walls. And I have been testing a lot on calibrating the parameters of my model, but I still can't get a result which can reach the critical state,  even at larger strain level, as a typical result of my tests in [1].

Refer to papers such as [2] and [3], it is very nice that the critical state has been captured. I guess I miss some knowledge on capturing this behaviour. I feel that the occurrence of critical state could be affected by many factors (not sure).  I'd like to ask  your valuable suggestions on this issue. For example, does the occurrence of this state only depend on the contact parameters? Is it related to the strain rate? Any efficient way to get this state?

Thanks very much!
Leonard

[1]https://we.tl/t-tQUUETv2L5

[2]Hosn, R. A., Sibille, L., Benahmed, N., & Chareyre, B. (2017). Discrete numerical modeling of loose soil with spherical particles and interparticle rolling friction. Granular matter, 19(1), 4.

[3]Plassiard, Jean-Patrick, Noura Belheine, and Frédéric-Victor Donzé. "A spherical discrete element model: calibration procedure and incremental response." Granular Matter 11.5 (2009): 293-306.