Re: [Question #694574]: ViscoEl contact normal stiffness kn in the source file is not consistent with that in the documentation

Jérôme Duriez posted a new comment:
Hi,

If your question was "there is a mismatch between documentation and source code, which should I trust?" the answer is "source code".
Behavior of YADE executable is obviously the one of its source code (the one of the used version). Documentation just attempts to retranscript this behavior in a non-C++, more friendly, language. Sometimes the attempt fails.. (if that's the cas, it may be fixed in a near future)

If your question is "how to justify the kn constant expression, with or without a 2", this may have been discussed few times on the mailing list in the last 10 years (..) and I think there is simply is no answer.
As far as I'm concerned, I can imagine no bullet-proof theoretical development for such a linear approximation (why Fn = kn dl1 would hold ? This is not what Hertz theory says). And there are then several (size-independent, at the macro scale) expressions that are all equally as good, with or without multiplying factors 2, or pi, or whatever number you could think of.