Re: [Question #691584]: About periodic simple shear

Kieran Fung posted a new comment:
Hi Jan,

Thank you for the explanations! Let's see how I can reword my question
above.

> Does this step ultimately cause the periodic boundary condition to be
flush with the particle regularHexa pack? Because without it, the
periodic boundary condition seems to simulate a regularHexa pack within
the representative volume element but it is suspended inside of it at
iteration 0.

During the compression portion of the simulation, I observe how the
representative volume element (RVE) shrinks inward to the particle clump
/ regularHexa pack. Once this is complete, or the limitMeanStress is
reached, the xz-plane shear begins. So back to when I asked above if
this step is necessary for the PBC to be flush with the clump, I really
was asking if we need to isotopically compress the RVE in order to shear
the cube.

It sounds like it doesn't need to occur - which is promising to hear. I
was also able to start the RVE shear simulation by setting the
limitMeanStress=0 so it starts right away.